Wednesday, August 17, 2011

REVIEWS: STEVE EARLE - I'LL NEVER GET OUT OF THIS WORLD ALIVE

"I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive"
Artist: Steve Earle
Title: I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive
Year: 2011
Genre: Americana
Rate: 7

Review: Like his idol Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle has made bemused fatalism his milieu. But Earle's first original set in four years is still a landmark of grimness - even his devotional songs invoke mortality ("I can't promise anything / Except that my last breath will bear your name").

T-Bone Burnett's understated production suggests an aqueous atmosphere, with a few actual sea shanties. "This city will never drown," Earle declares on the album-closing ode to New Orleans. That's as close to optimistic as it gets.

Tracklist: 1. Waitin' On The Sky; 2. Little Emperor; 3. The Gulf Of Mexico; 4. Molly - O; 5. God Is God; 6. Meet Me In The Alleyway; 7. Every Part Of Me; 8. Lonely Are The Free; 9. Heaven Or Hell; 10. I Am A Wanderer; 11. This City.


No comments:

Post a Comment