Monday, May 2, 2011

ROD STEWART AWARDED AS SONGWRITER

Rod Stewart
Rod Stewart has been given a lifetime achievement award for songwriting – but says he finds the task so difficult he’d rather play with his train set.

Amongst his co-credits are Maggie May, You Wear It Well and You’re In My Heart, alongside the track of which he’s most proud, The Killing of Georgie, which tells the story of a gay man murdered by a street gang.
He appeared at a ceremony held by writers’ organisation ASCAP in Hollywood this week to accept their Founders Award, where he compared the creating experience to doing homework.

He tells Yahoo: “I never saw myself as a songwriter. Then I look back at the catalogue and there’s been some big songs. It was always a struggle for me, almost like being back at school: “My first attempt to write a song with Ronnie Wood from the Faces was a failure. Ronnie’s mum saw our blank writing pads on the table and said, ‘I don’t think the Beatles have got anything to worry about. But winning this award will maybe give me a push up the bum to start writing again.”

Stewart admits the job is far from a priority when he starts his day, admitting: “I can’t wait to get up and work on my model railway”. The former Jeff Beck Group and Faces singer is currently working on a reunion project with Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment